Introduction for GSoC 2017
Rachit Kansal
2017-03-14 09:02:56 UTC
Hi, I'm Rachit Kansal, 4th year Computer Science student from BITS Pilani,
India. I hope I'm not late to make the contact. I would like to give a
small brief about myself.

I am proficient in Python and have good experience in GUI programming using
PyQT as well in GIS (specifically QGIS). I have developed couple of plugins
for QGIS during my internship period at Indian Institute of Remote Sensing
(ISRO)-Geoinformatics Department. ). I also have good experience with
various python libraries like Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, Keras,
Matplotllib, Scrapy, etc.

I'm interested in contributing to the GRASS GIS for GSOC 17. I am looking
forward to working on the project “Additional GUI tools for image analysis”.

I would like to get further details regarding the project and what kind of
new GUI tools are required?
Moritz Lennert
2017-03-14 10:25:43 UTC
Hi Rachit and welcome to GRASS GIS !

[CC'ing Manan as he was also interested in this topic]

Le Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:32:56 +0530,
Post by Rachit Kansal
Hi, I'm Rachit Kansal, 4th year Computer Science student from BITS
Pilani, India. I hope I'm not late to make the contact. I would like
to give a small brief about myself.
I am proficient in Python and have good experience in GUI programming
using PyQT as well in GIS (specifically QGIS). I have developed
couple of plugins for QGIS during my internship period at Indian
Institute of Remote Sensing (ISRO)-Geoinformatics Department. ). I
also have good experience with various python libraries like Numpy,
Scipy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, Keras, Matplotllib, Scrapy, etc.
I'm interested in contributing to the GRASS GIS for GSOC 17. I am
looking forward to working on the project “Additional GUI tools for
image analysis”.
I would like to get further details regarding the project and what
kind of new GUI tools are required?
Have you looked at [1] ?

As mentioned there, I see three main tasks:

- A general vector interactive attribute table editor which pops
up an attribute editing form when you click on a vector map.
Currently, to do this, you have to go into digitizing mode. In
addition, it would be great to be able to somehow (text input file ?)
be able to define the columns you see in the form so that you don't
have to scroll through tens of lines before you reach those that you
want to edit.
- A tool to attribute class values to raster objects. This is much
simpler and "just" a combination of GUI + r.what + form to add a
value + writing everything to a text file. In other words, it is the
current GUI raster interrogation tool enhanced to add a value and to
write info to a file.
- A tool to allow easy construction of rulesets for ruleset-based
classification. This would be a front-end to r.mapcalc and/or
v.db.update. It should allow the user to define a series of input
bands/columns and threshold values for those.

Note that on the wiki, I also added a link to an open enhancement
ticket. Solving one or two tasks of that ticket is a good way to get
familiar with GRASS GUI development and would allow you to demonstrate
your programming skills in your application (or after your
application and before selection).

Moritz

[1]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017#AdditionalGUItoolsforimageanalysis
Vaclav Petras
2017-03-15 03:26:53 UTC
Dear Moritz and students,

here are some of my ideas for these ideas. This is a good start. I think we
need enhancement ticket with use cases for each item.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Moritz Lennert <
Post by Moritz Lennert
- A general vector interactive attribute table editor which pops
up an attribute editing form when you click on a vector map.
Currently, to do this, you have to go into digitizing mode.
This is what the original query dialog in GUI was doing, but then it was
replaced by something which is optimized for (ready only) queries and does
not allow editing. You need to specify how the editing dialog would be
connected to the current GUI; e.g. new button?
Post by Moritz Lennert
In
addition, it would be great to be able to somehow (text input file ?)
be able to define the columns you see in the form so that you don't
have to scroll through tens of lines before you reach those that you
want to edit.
Is a text file the user friendly way you are looking for? Should this be
stored between GUI sessions?
Post by Moritz Lennert
- A tool to attribute class values to raster objects. This is much
simpler and "just" a combination of GUI + r.what + form to add a
value + writing everything to a text file. In other words, it is the
current GUI raster interrogation tool enhanced to add a value and to
write info to a file.
This sounds like raster attribute table for GRASS GIS. This needs some
serious design.

There is more of these individual features which may be useful, e.g.
imagery group support in the Data tab or r.pack/r.unpack equivalent for
imagery groups. Also the GUI dialog which shows for (instead of) i.group
needs some improvements.

Rachit, Manan, and other students,

it is important that you look and work on some of existing tickets or even
find some problems or small possible enhancements by exploring the current
functionality.

An good example ticket is the one by Moritz:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3310

You can also do some general tickets to familiarize yourself with different
parts of the GRASS GIS code base, for example:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3314

Moritz and all,

in cases like this, when a GSoC idea can be split into a separate features
and they are reasonable feature requests (they wouldn't be part of the idea
otherwise, right?), it would be good if we create the appropriate tickets
for each of those. We did this last summer when we used keywords (tags)
`gsoc2016` and `cartography` for each ticket related to the GSoC
Cartography Improvements idea:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=
closed&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~gsoc2016+cartography

For this idea it could be e.g. `gsoc2017` and `ImageAnalysisGUI`, but
please suggest something better (it must be one word, no spaces).

Best,
Vaclav
Moritz Lennert
2017-03-15 07:00:14 UTC
Post by Moritz Lennert
- A general vector interactive attribute table editor which pops
up an attribute editing form when you click on a vector map.
Currently, to do this, you have to go into digitizing mode.
This is what the original query dialog in GUI was doing, but then it was
replaced by something which is optimized for (ready only) queries and does
not allow editing. You need to specify how the editing dialog would be
connected to the current GUI; e.g. new button?
A button in the GUI (e.g. within a query menu) would be nice, but it could possibly also be implemented as a g.gui.* module.
Post by Vaclav Petras
Post by Moritz Lennert
In
addition, it would be great to be able to somehow (text input file
?)
Post by Moritz Lennert
want to edit.
Is a text file the user friendly way you are looking for? Should this be
stored between GUI sessions?
I find text files the most versatile, accessible and easy to handle by everyone, but I guess I'm a bit old school ;-). All it would need is a list of column names (unless we want to allow defining column input widget types). If time allows we could create another module that allows creating this file.
Post by Moritz Lennert
write info to a file.
This sounds like raster attribute table for GRASS GIS. This needs some
serious design.
No, I was not aiming for raster attribute tables. The main motivation for me is that when you create segments in an object-based image analysis approach and you want to then extract some objects as training objects this is currently not easy to do. For such training you have to identify the objects and indicate which class they're in. My idea is not to store this info within the gisdbase, but to output it to text file (yes, again ;-)) which can then be used as input to further treatment (e.g. v.class.mlR & co).
Post by Vaclav Petras
There is more of these individual features which may be useful, e.g.
imagery group support in the Data tab or r.pack/r.unpack equivalent for
imagery groups.
Also the GUI dialog which shows for (instead of)
i.group
needs some improvements.
The r.pack/unpack idea sounds great. I haven't really encountered problems with the others, so I'd leave that to you. We just need to make sure we don't increase the number of tasks too much.

I think the rules editor that is also part of the proposal will take some work and thought...
Post by Vaclav Petras
Moritz and all,
in cases like this, when a GSoC idea can be split into a separate features
and they are reasonable feature requests (they wouldn't be part of the idea
otherwise, right?), it would be good if we create the appropriate tickets
for each of those. We did this last summer when we used keywords (tags)
`gsoc2016` and `cartography` for each ticket related to the GSoC
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=
closed&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~gsoc2016+cartography
For this idea it could be e.g. `gsoc2017` and `ImageAnalysisGUI`, but
please suggest something better (it must be one word, no spaces).
+1

Do you think we should create these tickets now, or as part of the first phase of the project ?

Moritz
Vaclav Petras
2017-03-20 03:28:22 UTC
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:00 AM, Moritz Lennert <
Post by Moritz Lennert
Post by Moritz Lennert
write info to a file.
This sounds like raster attribute table for GRASS GIS. This needs some
serious design.
No, I was not aiming for raster attribute tables. The main motivation for
me is that when you create segments in an object-based image analysis
approach and you want to then extract some objects as training objects this
is currently not easy to do. For such training you have to identify the
objects and indicate which class they're in. My idea is not to store this
info within the gisdbase, but to output it to text file (yes, again ;-))
which can then be used as input to further treatment (e.g. v.class.mlR &
co).
I don't say that this can't be implemented through external CSV files and
the tools for handling them and transferring raster values into them are
generally useful. The thing I'm uncomfortable about is that it looks like a
raster attribute table from user point of view but it is different and also
at one point CSV won't be enough for some they will need actual database or
SQL. We had ASCII vectors in the past... (not that I would be around for
that ;-)
Post by Moritz Lennert
Moritz and all,
Yes, now.
Blumentrath, Stefan
2017-03-18 07:30:40 UTC
Hi,

Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of this GSoC idea?

Workflows from GRASS 6 could be improved a bit in that context quite a bit too, e.g.:

- Having both image and target map in an interactive window for setting image coordinates and GCPs

- Possibility to move points for image coordinates to improve RMSE

- Pick altitude from target terrain

The lack of Orthorectification tools in GRASS 7 is the only reason for me to keep GRASS 6 in parallel

Cheers,
Stefan
Vaclav Petras
2017-03-20 03:33:35 UTC
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan <
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
See also:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/imagery/i.ortho.photo
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
The lack of Orthorectification tools in GRASS 7 is the only reason for me
to keep GRASS 6 in parallel

Perhaps, there should be a list of tickets or a wiki to collect things
needed for people to fully switch to G7 (needs to be created by those who
actually use G6).

Vaclav
Luca Delucchi
2017-03-20 16:15:49 UTC
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org
Yann Chemin
2017-03-21 06:55:34 UTC
Hi all,

I have added to SVN trunk one of the two missing gui modules of
i.ortho.photo recently: g.gui.iphoto2image at the command line launches it.
All other modules but one are operational (still not fully tested though),
I have already started working on the last one, which is also GUI based.

Cheers,
Yann
Post by Luca Delucchi
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
--
ciao
Luca
Yann
2017-03-21 07:31:18 UTC
Hi Stefan,

please also launch the main menu: i.ortho.photo at the command line, it
tends to be erratic.

(careful the i.photo.2target is not yet existing)

Ciao,
Yann
Hi Yann,
Thanks so much! Very cool!
I will test the photo2image GUI tool ASAP!
Cheers
Stefan
Sent: tirsdag 21. mars 2017 07.56
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Introduction for GSoC 2017
Hi all,
I have added to SVN trunk one of the two missing gui modules of i.ortho.photo recently: g.gui.iphoto2image at the command line launches it. All other modules but one are operational (still not fully tested though), I have already started working on the last one, which is also GUI based.
Cheers,
Yann
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
--
ciao
Luca
Markus Metz
2017-03-22 17:01:39 UTC
Post by Yann
(careful the i.photo.2target is not yet existing)
you can clone and modify g.gui.gcp to get a wxgui replacement for
i.photo.2target. Essentially you need to replace calls to m.transform with
calls to i.ortho.transform which I wrote a wile ago for this purpose. And
some interface to set fiducials is missing (old i.photo.2image) which would
need to be added to the wizard of g.gui.gcp.

Markus M
Sent: tirsdag 21. mars 2017 07.56
Hi all,
I have added to SVN trunk one of the two missing gui modules of
i.ortho.photo recently: g.gui.iphoto2image at the command line launches it.
All other modules but one are operational (still not fully tested though),
I have already started working on the last one, which is also GUI based.
Post by Yann
Cheers,
Yann
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
Yann Chemin
2017-03-22 17:43:23 UTC
Post by Markus Metz
Post by Yann
(careful the i.photo.2target is not yet existing)
you can clone and modify g.gui.gcp to get a wxgui replacement for
i.photo.2target.

Yes started that already.

Essentially you need to replace calls to m.transform with calls to
i.ortho.transform which I wrote a wile ago for this purpose.

I will look into that, I saw that m.transform would need replacement
indeed. Did not know it was ready yet. Thanks.

And some interface to set fiducials is missing (old i.photo.2image) which
would need to be added to the wizard of g.gui.gcp.
Post by Markus Metz
Markus M
Thanks Markus
Yann
Sent: tirsdag 21. mars 2017 07.56
Hi all,
I have added to SVN trunk one of the two missing gui modules of
i.ortho.photo recently: g.gui.iphoto2image at the command line launches it.
All other modules but one are operational (still not fully tested though),
I have already started working on the last one, which is also GUI based.
Post by Markus Metz
Post by Yann
Cheers,
Yann
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
Yann Chemin
2017-05-12 07:18:36 UTC
Hi Stefan,

the first throw is there in SVN, just update and recompile.
The two GUI are g.gui.iphoto2image and g.gui.iimage2target.

Finalization of the names are also open to suggestion, so far I just
concatenated the old module names in v6 and added to g.gui.

Please test and if you have a scanned aerial photo with good info about
camera and XYZ of fiducials, please throw it my side too so I can
validate/finalize the output accuracy.

Cheers,
Yann

----------
Yann Chemin
Planetary Scientist
Latest: https://peerj.com/preprints/2124/
-----
*JRC:*
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/3628+-+CANHEMON+Remote+sensing+based+forest+canopy+health+monitoring...-a0453990005
*OSGeo: *https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Monitoring_Systems_Working_Group
Moritz Lennert
2017-05-12 07:28:25 UTC
Post by Yann
Hi Stefan,
the first throw is there in SVN, just update and recompile.
The two GUI are g.gui.iphoto2image and g.gui.iimage2target.
Finalization of the names are also open to suggestion, so far I just
concatenated the old module names in v6 and added to g.gui.
I would suggest

g.gui.photo2image
g.gui.image2target

(without the extra i)

Moritz
Luca Delucchi

www.lucadelu.org
Markus Neteler
2017-05-12 08:52:25 UTC
Post by Moritz Lennert
Post by Yann
Hi Stefan,
the first throw is there in SVN, just update and recompile.
The two GUI are g.gui.iphoto2image and g.gui.iimage2target.
Finalization of the names are also open to suggestion, so far I just
concatenated the old module names in v6 and added to g.gui.
I would suggest
g.gui.photo2image
g.gui.image2target
(without the extra i)
+1
+1

If/when renaming, be sure to use "svn mv" for this to keep the history.
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToSVN#SVNusage
--> at the end of the section

Markus
Yann Chemin

Martin Landa
2017-05-12 13:51:06 UTC
Hi,
Post by Yann Chemin
just did using svn mv
since the tools is experimental we should not include in G7.4 I would
say. If you agree we have two options:

* move it to Addons
* after creating relbr_74 to remove the tools

What do you think? Ma
Post by Yann Chemin
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
Vaclav Petras
2017-05-12 14:23:17 UTC
Post by Martin Landa
since the tools is experimental we should not include in G7.4 I would
say.
Or just say they are experimental.
Post by Martin Landa
* move it to Addons
* after creating relbr_74 to remove the tools
Then I would just remove them from 74, because we want them in trunk. I
don't like it that much, but copy in addons may be good for users.
Blumentrath, Stefan
2017-05-12 08:13:49 UTC
Thanks Yann! Great news!
I will use the modules on tilted digital camera images (from wildlife camera traps).
But I can check if we have some good aerial photos somewere in a drawer
.

www.lucadelu.org<http://www.lucadelu.org><http://www.lucadelu.org>
Yann
2017-07-04 19:50:16 UTC
Hi Stefan and all,

Anybody had the opportunity to try the modules ?

Any feed back?

Cheers,

Yann
Stefan Blumentrath
2017-08-06 10:39:59 UTC
Hi again,

Zofie tested the orthorectification suite in GRASS 7 and just confirmed that it works as expected!
Thanks so much, Yann! For me this was the last missing feature for completely moving to GRASS 7!

Cheers
Stefan

On Mar 20, 2017 5:25 PM, "Luca Delucchi" <***@gmail.com<mailto:***@gmail.com>> wrote:
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan

Yann Chemin
2017-08-07 03:52:14 UTC
thanks for the constant feed back Zofie, was not possible to make it work
without you guys testing it.
yann
Post by Stefan Blumentrath
Hi again,
Zofie tested the orthorectification suite in GRASS 7 and just confirmed
that it works as expected!
Thanks so much, Yann! For me this was the last missing feature for
completely moving to GRASS 7!
Cheers
Stefan
Of *Blumentrath, Stefan
*Sent:* tirsdag 21. mars 2017 07.56
Hi all,
I have added to SVN trunk one of the two missing gui modules of
i.ortho.photo recently: g.gui.iphoto2image at the command line launches it.
All other modules but one are operational (still not fully tested though),
I have already started working on the last one, which is also GUI based.
Cheers,
Yann
On 18 March 2017 at 08:30, Blumentrath, Stefan
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Hi,
Hi,
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Could also porting (competition) of the i.ortho.photo modules (and here
especially the missing GUI modules around it) to GRASS 7 become scope of
this GSoC idea?
I fully support this idea, GUI for i.ortho.photo is the most important
loss from GRASS 6
Post by Blumentrath, Stefan
Cheers,
Stefan
--
ciao
Luca
Markus Neteler
2017-08-08 12:44:35 UTC
Post by Yann Chemin
thanks for the constant feed back Zofie, was not possible to make it work
without you guys testing it.
Great to see orthorectification in G7! Thanks to all involved here.

A wish: can anyone (maybe Zofie? :-) please update this outdated overview page?

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass73/manuals/i.ortho.photo.html

Then it would be all complete, I suppose.

Extra material:
* the old ortho chapter in the 2nd edition of our book:
http://grassbook.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/grassbook_2nd_2004_chapter10_aerial.pdf
* https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk/imagery/i.ortho.photo/
--> README

thanks
Markus
Žofie Cimburová

Markus Neteler
2017-11-02 12:24:06 UTC
Post by Žofie Cimburová
Hi,
I'm working on the documentation update already :)
Great, thanks!

Markus
Post by Žofie Cimburová
Zofie